The Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (RAJUVAS), Bikaner is a newly constituted body corporate established under sub section (3) of section 1 of the Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Act, 2010. The University came in to existence on 13th day of May, 2010 with His Excellency the Governor of Rajasthan as the Chancellor of the University. Professor A.K. Gahlot was appointed as first Vice-Chancellor of the University. The Headquarter of Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences is located at Bikaner.
The University is located in heritage and palatial buildings of erstwhile Ganga Avenue housing the College of Veterinary and Animal Science, Bikaner (Since 1954) and its precincts, spreading over 200 acres of land. The Bijey Bhavan Palace, a magnificent red sandstone edifice designed by well-know architect Sir Swinton Jacob, was built by Maharaja Ganga Singh (1881-1942) as residence of his son Prince Bijey Singh in 1927. Two other buildings, the State Museum known as Sadul Sadan and State Library were also built contemporarily. These magnificent buildings are an example of pure Rajput martial architecture. They have several grand halls lounges, cupolas and pavilions. The exotic palatial buildings have magnificent pillars, richly carved fire mantles, Italian colonnades etc.
The University has sophisticated equipments and well equipped facilities for execution of major three organs of University, i.e., Teaching, Research and Extension. Under this University, there are now three constituent colleges, one each at Bikaner; Navania, Vallabhnagar (Udaipur) and Jaipur. Rajasthan is the first State in the country to have Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode in Veterinary Education. Under this innovative step of the State, there are now six private veterinary colleges affiliated to this University in the State. The State would be producing nearly 500 veterinarians every year in the service of animal health care which is the backbone of rural economy of Rajasthan.
The College of Veterinary and Animal Science, Bikaner was established in 1954 in heritage buildings. The College awards undergraduate degree of B.V.Sc. &A.H. and offers M.V.Sc. course in 15 subjects, M.Sc. in one subject and Ph.D. by course work in 12 disciplines. There are seven Livestock Research Stations at Bikaner, Beechhwal (Bikaner), Kodamdesar (Bikaner), Chandan (Jaisalmer), Nohar (Hanumangarh), Navania, Vallabhnagar (Udaipur) and Bojunda (Chittorgarh). The University also has 65 institutes providing 2 years Diploma Programme in Animal Husbandry after 10+2 spread over whole Rajasthan producing about 3000 para-vets annually. These institutes are in Bikaner, Alwar, Bharatpur, Churu, Dausa, Dungarpur, Hanumangarh, Jaipur, Jhunjhunu, Jodhpur, Karauli, Kota, Bundi, Baran, Sriganganagar, Sikar, Tonk and Udaipur. Four new centers at Post Graduate Institute for Veterinary Education and Research, Jaipur; LRS, Chandan; LRS, Nohar and CVAS, Navania (Udaipur) have also started offering Diploma in Animal Husbandry as constituent units, besides the one at the College of Veterinary & Animal Science, Bikaner. The Research centre located at Jaipur has been converted to Post Graduate Institute for Veterinary Education and Research facilitating PG courses in three streams.
ROLE AND MANDATE
The RAJUVAS is envisaged to accomplish the following roles under the mandate of the University:
- To plan, initiate, guide, co-ordinate and monitor the research in the field of Veterinary and Animal Science.
- To maintain liaison with State and Central Government, ICAR, DST and other National and International Funding agencies for obtaining the financial support for various Veterinary and Animal Science research programmes.
- To monitor animal health programme through disease investigation and surveillance.
- To impart quality professional education.
- To develop technologies suitable for promoting animal production in the State of Rajasthan.
- To transfer the technologies to field functionaries.
- To develop a center of higher learning, research and extension in the field of Veterinary and Animal Science.
The University has been established to achieve following objectives:
- To impart quality education in different branches of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, as it may be determine from time to time.
- To Further advancement of learning and research in the field of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- To Undertake extension education/ activities in the field of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- To Promot partnership and linkages with national and international educational institutions.
- To Establish vital linkages with the concerned line departments working in the fields of animal husbandry, fisheries and dairy development, animal technology in the State, by whatever name called, governed by the Government of Rajasthan as well as the Central Government.
How to Reach University
Bikaner is a city located in North Western part of Indian state of Rajasthan. Studded with impregnable forts, magnificent places, grand havelis and mansions noted for their architectural grandeur, Bikaner attracts tourist from all over the world. It is well connected with air, train and road routs from the various part of country and world.
Jodhpur airport, situated at a distance of nearly 250 kilometers, Jaipur airport at a distance of 340 km and Delhi (Domestic & International) airport at a distance of 450 km to Bikaner. It is connected through flights with major cities in North India
Bikaner Railway station is well connected with other major cities of Rajasthan and India through decent connectivity of express/superfast trains.
It is also well connected with the major cities of India by roads. Several state transport buses connect Bikaner with other cities in Rajasthan. Highways are comfortable for a person to drive to Bikaner. Highways like NH 11, 15 and 89 link Bikaner with other major Indian cities and metros. State as well as luxury buses are a handy option to reach the destination.